Eme-co-ca cola chair

Hanover, Pennsylvania is home to Snyder’s, Utz, and Emeco (which I blogged about visiting here and wrote about for US Airways magazine). The company releases its newest design at the Milan Furniture Fair this week — it’s the “111 Navy Chair,” a version of the iconic 1944 Navy chair that’s composed of recycled Coke bottles.

navy group03
navy group08

The 111 bottles in each chair make up 60% of its content; the other 40% apparently gives the chair as much strength as its original aluminum incarnation. Since 2000, Emeco has been collaborating with designers (Philippe Starck, Frank Gehry, Ettore Sottsass); the partnership with a corporation, and the focus on materials over form, is new.

The chairs are pretty handsome. The color of the one in the top photo is, of course, Coca Cola Red. They’re high and lo, just like Hanover’s Emeco. They’ll fit in at Milan and they make snack-sense alongside Utz chips and Snyder’s pretzels. I’m excited to see one in person when they goes on sale next month at Design Within Reach.

(photo courtesy of Emeco)

5 Responses to “Eme-co-ca cola chair”

  1. [...] Design-Phan’s digging Emeco’s new Coke chair.  While numerous conceptions may be floating around that imagination of [...]

  2. BARBARA RAINEAR says:

    I LIVE IN AN OLD HOUSE AT THE SHORE AND LOVE YOUR SKYLARK DOUBLE GLIDER. WILL IT RUST LIKE MOST METALS HERE?

  3. Kasey Ruth says:

    A Taste of Vendors for The Grand Opening at The Piazza at Schmidt’s! This weekend, July 10 & 11 from 12 to 7pm both days! OVER 250 VENDORS!

    Rack and Roll Clothing Co. with Mary Harvey!
    http://www.rackandrollclothingco.com
    Rack N’ Roll has an entire Boutique of clothing including designer jeans, camis, jackets, sweaters, tops, trousers, you name it! If it is the latest seasonal fashion, they have it!

    Heart City Vintage

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/heartcity

    Heart City Vintage is based in Philadelphia and boasts a chic
    assortment of handpicked vintage clothing and accessories from the
    1950s to the 90s. All items are reused/recycled/dead stock, everything
    is environmentally friendly and comes with a history.

    Nugo Labs
    http://www.nugolabs.com

    Featuring NEW Silicone Cases for the iPhone

    Janzibar with Jan Cohen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/janmarsh55

    Handmade handbags and accessories made from recycled materials

    Delanco Hats
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/jonboy

    Handcrafted Hats made from recycled materials

  4. Is there any manner you’ll be able to take away me from that service? Thanks!

  5. I like to visit your blog a couple times a week for new thoughts. I was wondering if you have any other topics you write about?

Leave a Reply